Monday 25 February 2013

MOTIVATION


“Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be happy doing it” –Buddha

Much can be said about the above statement. However the way I absorb it is if I am truly happy within myself then I will find success in whatever career path I take.

Motivation is what drives behaviour or the desire to act on something. Motivation can come in various forms however generally are made up of intrinsic or extrinsic factors that stimulate desire and energy in people to be continually interested and committed to a role or task.

Intrinsic motivation is when motivation comes from within, and it is determined by your personal values and goals. A great example of intrinsic motivation would be volunteer work or me participating in an internship withe the NSW Rugby Union. I have been motivated to do so as I am interested in the role and I am not working for any incentives.

Extrinsic motivation is when a person’s drive stems from external sources other than internally. For example, you’re pressured into something or you are only performing that task due to monetary rewards.

I can confidently say that I am mainly internally motivated as a person. My family in particular my son motivates me however my drive to do something generally forms because it is interesting or challenging.



No comments:

Post a Comment